How to Keep Your Metal Roof Safe, According to a Roof Installation and Repair Company
As you may already know, metal roofs can be pretty beneficial for both homeowners and commercial property owners. They are cheap, recycleable, and help reduce your energy bills. They are very durable too. Although metal roof installation requires professional attention, with a little basic maintenance, your roof can last up to 50 years. Here is what you need to do if you want your metal roof to last longer:
- First, you need to make sure your roof has adequate drainage at all times. Keep your gutters clean and free of leaves and debris to ensure a free water flow. Rain is not the only source of moisture in your roof. An air conditioner can also be a source of moisture which needs to be secured. The roof needs to be protected against any dips and dents that may lead to ponding of water.
- Metal roofs installation is not difficult, but it requires some know-how. For example, if you have copper pipes sticking through your steel roof, you need to keep them separated because when they get wet, they will interact chemically. That usually leads to a process called electrolytic corrosion, and that’s pretty destructive.
- To keep your roof clean, simply mix a bucket of warm soapy water and wash it with a mop or a brush with an extendable handle. After that, just rinse it with the garden hose.
- If your roof gets scratched by tree branches or any other abrasive materials, pour a small amount of mineral spirits on a clean cloth and clean the scratches. This will help clean the place from any rust and corrosion. After that, simply paint over the scratched area. If that doesn’t work, sand the rust away and treat the place with a metal primer for further protection from rust.
- One last thing you need to consider is the winter snow. Don’t let it stay! As soon as it starts to accumulate, use a long-handled brush or rake and take it down.
If you need help with metal roof installation or maintenance, why not give Arcade Roofing Solutions a call? We operate on the territory of Middle Village, NY, so give us a call at (718) 210-9857!